Fakeaway Doner Kebab – Healthy, Simple & Delicious – Foodie Friday Week 5
DISCLAIMER; As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This comes at no extra cost to you.
So we meet again, are you feeling hungry. I hope so I have a delicious treat for you. This weeks Foodie Friday is a Simple Fakeaway – Doner Kebab.
If you are from the UK you have probably been fortunate enough to grab a good old greasy Doner Kebab from your local takeaway/kebab house on your way home from a Saturday night down the pub, a nice pita bread filled with salad, onions, red cabbage, chilli and garlic sauce and a nice hefty pile of lamb doner kebab meat.
In this weeks Foodie Friday, I’m going to share with you my go to Doner kebab recipe, so you too can make your own Fakeaway homemade doner kebab.
It is a doner kebab recipe that is low fat, juicy and moist – not dry (I am sorry for using the ‘M’ word I know a few cringe at it for some reason… you know the one… Moist!! anyways back on topic) it’s tasty, full of flavour and so easy and simple to make.
Slimming World Fakeaway – Homemade Doner Kebab Recipe.
So it’s time to get down to business and let you know what the recipe is. One piece of kitchen equipment I found useful for this recipe was my food processor. Not to worry though if you don’t have one you can still do this by hand.
Now to make this homemade Doner Kebab Meat, below you will find the ingredients you will require. The Lean Beef Mince can be exchanged for Lamb Mince if you would like, but it is just as good with Beef.
- 1 Onion – finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves – crushed
- 500g Extra-lean Beef Mince (5% fat)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Egg – lightly beaten
- 11 tbsp dried mixed herbs or dried parsley
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black pepper
- a few iceberg lettuce leaves – shredded
- 1/2 Red onion – sliced
- 4 Tomatoes – sliced
- Pita Breads or Tortilla Wraps
The last part of the recipe is entirely up to you, whether you prefer to serve it in a Pita bread or maybe even have a Doner Kebab Wrap, the choice is yours for this Healthy Fakeaway.
So we have our Ingredients… Now what…
Now we shall assemble this tasty bad boy and get it ready to cook. Below is a step-by-step of what you need to do to make your Homemade Doner Kebab Meat.
- Spray non-stick Saucepan/Frying pan with low cal cooking spray or 1 tbsp Olive oil (if your following slimming world I’d stick to the low cal cooking Spray) Add the Onion and cook for 10-12 minutes, occasionally stirring, until softened and lightly browned.
- Pop the onion into your food processor or mixing bowl if you don’t have one. Add in your Garlic, Beef Mince, Ginger, Cumin, Cinnamon, Paprika, Egg and Mixed Herbs. Season to your taste (if you know that is) and then blend until smooth. If your doing it the old fashioned way in a bowl by hand. Get stuck in and give it a good mix around with your hands, squeeze it, Knead it like bread dough until it’s fully combined and smooth. Put your Meat mixture into a bowl.
- Transfer your mixture into a Non-stick Loaf tin (It should fill just above halfway in the tin) give it a pat down. Cover and Chill for 4hrs or if your well organised pop it in the fridge the night before.
- So it’s chilled and ready to be cooked. You want to Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees C/ Fan or 160 Degrees C/ Gas mark 4.
- over your Tin with tin foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and drain any liquid, pop it back into the oven uncovered for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the oven, Leave it in the tin to rest for around 15 minutes, then remove your Doner Meat and slice it thinly.
- Prepare your Pita bread or wraps, using a sauce of your choice, garlic yoghurt, Garlic Mayonnaise, Chilli Sauce and with your salad, top with the Sliced Doner meat and Voila…. There you have it.
So that is how we make our Homemade Doner Kebabs, with the help and credit from the Slimming World Fakeaway cook book. Below is one I have made previously.
Thank You for Checking out Week 5 of Foodie Friday
Well thank you for taking a read of Foodie Friday week 5. I hope you enjoy the Slimming World Fakeaway, a delicious and healthy Homemade Doner Kebab for any Lunch or Dinner throughout the week.
If you enjoy my Foodie Friday Posts then why not check out my Previous weeks below.
This one is before i begun writing my Foodie Friday Posts but still a great dish. A Pinch of Nom Recipe – Lemon Pepper Chicken Tagliatelle.
You can find the Link to the Slimming World’s Fakeaways Book I have mentioned in my post Here. And if you are in the market for a new food processor why not take a look at this Russel Hobbs Food Processor/food mixer with 5 Slicing, Chopping and dough attachments.
Hope to see you again next Friday for Week 6 of Foodie Friday.