Sleep Struggles during Pregnancy.

As Dads there is one aspect of pregnancy that we are unable to share with our partners which is the changes the body goes through to accommodate the Little miracle. We certainly don’t experience the stretchings, the tightenings, the movements or even the various accounting factors that lead to sleep struggles.

It doesn’t mean we can’t help though, check out my useful tips to help support your partner during pregnancy Here.

In this post we are going to look into the various problems which can cause sleep struggles and a disrupted sleeping routine for pregnant expectant Mums.

The Sleep Struggles Expectant Mums Aren’t Warned About.



Not being able to turn is the biggest issue for expectant mothers trying to get to sleep.

9 out of 10 of mothers have experienced sleep struggles and have a disrupted sleeping routine while pregnant.

48% of working expectant mothers say they have to battle through a working day because of tiredness.

Results from a survey carried out by Happy Beds sharing the Sleep Struggles of expectant mums through pregnancy.
A survey carried out by Happy Beds sharing the Sleep Struggles of expectant mums through pregnancy.

Following a survey and using the results of 2,000 pregnant women which has been carried out by Happy Beds, you can take a look at the survey Here.

The survey has revealed that 91% of expectant mothers have experienced sleep struggles and have a disrupted sleeping routine throughout pregnancy.

Various aspects of pregnancy are the main cause of sleep struggles during pregnancy.
Various aspects of pregnancy are the main cause of sleep struggles during pregnancy. Pic Source Dexswaggerboy Unsplash.

As if the tolls of pregnancy weren’t exhausting enough right.

The survey has also revealed that just 27% of respondents were made aware of how much of a struggle sleeping while pregnant would be, while the remaining 73% had no idea that they would experience sleep struggles and that sleeping would be such a challenge during pregnancy.

Check out these tips to help support New and expectant mums Here.

Reasons why Pregnant and Expectant Mothers experience Sleep Struggles.

Sharing results from a survey carried out by Happy Beds sharing the Sleep Struggles of expectant mums through pregnancy.

Here are a few of the top reasons why expectant mums may experience sleep struggles and may not be able to get to sleep during pregnancy include:

  1. Being unable to turn over when you want to.
  2. Heartburn
  3. The baby moving
  4. Being too hot
  5. The baby kicking
  6. Restless legs
  7. Sore hips
  8. Feeling sick
  9. Worrying if the baby will be healthy
  10. Their partner is annoying them

A whopping 57% of mums-to-be have found themselves brought to tears by tiredness during their pregnancy, and 48% have openly admitted to having to battle through a working day thanks to having no sleep the night before.

Joy Richards, Sleep Expert at Happy Beds, says:

“Getting to sleep while pregnant is extremely difficult, and awareness needs to be raised so that the challenges don’t come as a complete surprise. Some may find that the reason is physical, such as having a bump so big that they can’t get into the correct sleeping position, while others may find the anxiety of becoming a new mum keeps them up at night.

With the potential of a baby boom thanks to lockdown, there has never been a better time to discuss the difficulty of sleeping while pregnant.”

However, it isn’t just expectant mothers that are suffering with sleep struggles throughout the pregnancy.

A third of Dads have admitted to sleeping in another room to give mothers more space, with 80% of women saying they feel guilty for their partners being kept up at night too.

If you would like to take a look at the full research of Sleep Struggles of Pregnant Expectant Mums which has been carried out by Happy Beds you can view the page here: https://www.happybeds.co.uk/blog/pregnancy-slumber-study

About Happy Beds

A survey carried out by Happy Beds sharing the Sleep Struggles of expectant mums through pregnancy.

Happy Beds is an independent bedroom and furniture retailer based in Batley, West Yorkshire. Founded in 2010, Happy Beds originally began as a third-party seller on Amazon and eBay before launching its own domain www.happybeds.co.uk in 2012.

Since then, it has grown into a business with a turnover of more than £3m. Based entirely in the UK, all of the Happy Beds’ products are built to order and sent from its Manchester distribution centre.

Happy Beds’ products have recently been voted as Best Bunk Bed and Best Storage Bed by the Independent, and one of The Best Mattress Guide’s 10 Best Mattresses.

Related posts

Leave a Reply